What is the Mobile App?
We use Cloud Softphone, by Acrobits for our Android/iOS soft phone application. This is what we call the Mobile App and it allows users to retain the same functionality of their desk phone and work number while away from the office.
What capabilities does the Mobile App give a user?
- From anywhere in the world:
- Remote voicemail access
- Answer inbound calls to their extension
- Make outbound calls from their extension
- Transfer calls to other people on their phone systems
- Make calls using both WiFi and cellular service
- Conference calling with their business line
- SMS Texting
Does the Mobile App have its own extension or can it share the same extension as the user?
- If the user already has an extension on the phone system, and if the user wants to use their mobile app just like their normal extension, you set up their mobile app as an Alias.
- However; if the user does NOT have an existing extension, or they want the app to be completely separate, you can create a brand new extension for their app.
How to add a Mobile App as an Alias to an existing extension:
1. Log into the PBX, expand Extensions, and select Manage in the left navigation panel.
2. Locate the extension for the individual that wants the mobile app, and click Edit.
3. Select the Aliases tab, and then click the Add Alias () button - an alias will be added to the system.
Note: This allows the app to use the SAME extension as their main phone.
4. Now, select Extensions > Provisioning in the left navigation panel, and scroll down to the Devices section of the main panel.
5. Click the Add Device () button and edit as follows:
- Device Type: Cloud Softphone
- MAC Address: (leave blank)
- Provisioning Template: (No Template)
- Primary SIP Account: The user's new Alias
6. Click the Submit () button.
7. Locate the new device for this user's Alias, and click the corresponding QR Code () link.
8. Enter in the user's email address and click the Send Code () button. The email will have setup instructions for the user.
9. Be sure to click the APPLY CHANGES () button at the top of the screen as, otherwise, the mobile app will not work!
How to add a Mobile App to a new extension:
As noted above, if a user wants the Mobile App to be completely separate, you can create a brand new extension for that purpose. Then, follow steps 4-8 above, When selecting the Primary SIP Account in step 5, select the account associated to that new extension. Finish the steps and you're good to go!
The email sent to the user with the code in step 8, will contain the setup instructions. Those instructions are also available in this knowledge base at: